The Transportation Research Board Health and Transportation Subcommittee (ADD50-01) is concerned with advancing research, education, and professional practice in public health and transportation, and aims to:
- Improve understanding and evaluation of how transportation systems influence public health;
- Maximize the
health benefits of transportation systems and limit their adverse
effects on travelers, neighbors, and vulnerable groups; and
- Integrate transportation
and health issues through planning, policy, engineering, design,
interdisciplinary collaboration, and community participation.
For more information about the Transportation Research Board: www.trb.org April 2014 Health and Transportation Subcommittee Newsletter
- Help us write the TRB Circular, which will document what a transportation planner needs to know about health, what a public health professional needs to know about transportation and other connected issues.
- Report documenting the Health and Transportation Subcommittee session at TRB’s Annual Meeting in January 2014.The session was organized as a panel discussion where we heard the perspective from three senior state transportation officials and a state health commissioner on raising public health issues to a higher level in the transportation sector.
- The Subcommittee mid-year meeting this year will be held in Burlington Vermont in conjunction with the Tools of the Trade conference. Registration is now open and our meeting will be Wednesday afternoon, July 23, 2014. Do not worry if you cannot make it to Vermont, since we will host the subcommittee meeting virtually!
- Help the subcommittee craft a recommendation that TRB establish a Task Force on Urban Arterials and Public Health.
- The TRB paper submittal deadline is August 1.